Sunday, October 19, 2008

Red Sauce

The BF asked what I wanted for dinner. I said I wanted Green Chile and he said it was too warm for green chile. So I asked him what he wanted because I knew he wasn't up for my green chile suggestion. He suggested lasagna. Lasagna sounded good. When we got to the store we stood in the pasta aisle and the BF asked how I felt about manicotti. I wasn't up for stuffing manicotti so I suggested shells instead. The sauce went on the manicotti.

- few tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (i like san marzano's but they are not always available.)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 ribs celery, small dice
- 1 pound italian sausage (sometimes i make meatballs but that is for a different post.)
- 1 sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh basil
- 1 can tomato paste

i think this sauce changes depending on my mood and what i'm making the sauce for. since this was for shells, i decided to go the simple route. i sometimes use a little wine but the BF doesn't like wine so no wine this time. i didn't bother with fresh oregano but i did have some fresh basil. i don't usually use tomato paste but i didn't have all day to cook the sauce so after about an hour and a half of simmering, i added a little paste. i usually grate some parmesan cheese in the sauce but since there was a lot of cheese for the shells. i think my sauce is the best when i use the best ingredients and when i make meatballs. the meat juice from the meatballs are really flavorful.

0 comments: