Thursday, April 16, 2009

Italian Soda and French Soda


When I was younger, my friends and I would frequently meet up at Nordstrom's ebar. On occasion I would order something other than coffee because I didn't want the additional caffeine in my system. On cold days I ordered hot chocolate and on hot days I ordered an italian or french soda. Back then I wasn't sure what the difference was. The barrista kindly explained that they were essentially the same drink. The italian soda was made with club soda (or seltzer water), flavored syrup, and ice. When you add half and half to the italian soda, you get french soda.

Italian soda did not originate in Italy. I read that it originated in San Francisco in the 1920s and has become a very popular drink in coffee houses because the same flavored syrups used in flavored coffee drinks are used in making italian and french sodas. The two most common brands of syrups I see at coffee houses are DaVinci and Torani. A limited selection of Torani syrups can be purchased at many grocery stores in the coffee and tea aisle. It can also be purchased at Cost Plus World Market. I have a few different flavors in my pantry. I like to add the caramel or the vanilla to my coffee.

I used about 1 to 2 ounces of raspberry Torani syrup to a glass of ice and club soda.
Add a splash of half and half and now it is a french soda.
This entry was posted in

3 comments:

numaer said...

I asked myself this very question: "What is the difference between regular soda and Italian soda as I sipped away on a bottle of Cost PLus World Market Orange Passion Mango soda... Thanks for the insight! I may just try the French version when I get home. My wife is going to think I am weird I believe!

Unknown said...

I love the Italian Soda.

Unknown said...

French soda lovers enjoy dairy, such as milk or whipped cream, with their soda and syrup