Monday, April 24, 2006

April 24,2006 - Cherrry Creek Grill's Macho Salad and Cornbread Skillet

Updated again on 3/16/2017 with Cornbread recipe from Hillstone.





***Update: 5/15/2010

I noticed that many people end up at my blog because they google "macho salad." I originally posted a recipe that I found. I didn't make any changes even though I noticed that it was missing a few items. I eat this salad all the time and have made it on several occasions. I can see the restaurant from my office window.

I made a few changes to the recipe. The first is changing the cider vinegar to champagne vinegar. I talked to one of the waiters and tried to get the recipe out of him. He only revealed that they used a champagne vinaigrette for the dressing.
The original recipe called for salad greens. The restaurant uses a mix of different baby lettuces including frisee. It also called for croutons but did not specify what kind of croutons. I know for a fact that they make their own croutons using leftover cornbread that they serve in the restaurant. They also use leftover rotisserie chicken. Rotisserie chicken is one of the entree options. The salad ingredients also changes from time to time. I listed the regular ingredients I find in my salad bowl.

The Hillstone Restaurant Group opened a Houston's in Cherry Creek. I ate there for the very first time a few weeks ago. The menu is definitely different from the Cherry Creek Grill but still very good.

***
Sunday was lunch at the Cherry Creek Grill with Chris. I ordered the macho salad like I usually do. The salad was a little different this time. The dates were missing and the tomatoes were sliced instead of the usual grape tomatoes. It was still good. The cornbread was also delicious. I found the below recipe under Fairway Grill's Macho Salad. The recipe seems pretty close. I think I shall attempt to make it this week. The Cherry Creek Grill is part of the Hillstone restaurant group. It operates under the name Houston's, Bandera, Palm Beach Grill...depending on what city you are in.


Dressing:
This recipe makes a lot of dressing! Halve or quarter it. Trust me.
1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
1 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup fresh garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 quart + 1 cup olive oil

Place all ingredients except oil in a bowl. Whisk in oil to emulsify by hand. Keep Chilled.

Salad:
5-6 cornbread croutons
3 cups baby lettuces
1/2 cup rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
8 medjool dates, roughly chopped
1/2 cup avocado, diced
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, raw
1/2 cup almonds, roasted and chopped
goat cheese
green onions, sliced (I always request the salad without the onions.)
dressing (recipe above)

Toss everything together.


Hillstone shared several of their recipes with Bon Appétit Magazine, including their cornbread recipe.  The cornbread is pretty good. It's a toss-up between this cornbread and the other cornbread I make with jalapenos, cheese, and green onions.

Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread

1¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Fine-Grind Cornmeal
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1½ Teaspoons Kosher Salt
4 Large Eggs
1½ Cups Canned Creamed Corn (From One 15-Ounce Can)
1 4.5-Ounce Can Mild Green Chiles, Drained, Chopped
1½ Ounces Mild White Cheddar, Grated (About ½ Cup)
1½ Ounces Monterey Jack, Grated (About ½ Cup)
¾ Cup Unsalted Butter (1½ Sticks), Room Temperature
⅔ Cup Sugar
Nonstick Vegetable Oil Spray


Place rack in middle of oven. Set 10-inch Cast Iron skillet on a rimmed baking sheet, place on rack, and preheat oven to 400°.

Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl to combine. Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl to blend; whisk in creamed corn, chiles, cheddar, and Monterey Jack.

Mix butter and sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon just until butter absorbs sugar but butter is still in small pieces. Add egg mixture and mix until just combined. Mix in dry ingredients until barely incorporated.
Remove skillet from oven and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Scrape in batter (it should sizzle on contact and stay slightly mounded in the center).

Bake cornbread until top is golden brown and springs back when gently pressed, 35–45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.


-->

9 comments:

Minkyrose said...

This is one of my all time favorite salads!! I can't wait to make it at home.
Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for finding this...it's one of our favorite salads and i can't wait to try and make it!!

hru32 said...

Thank you for the Macho Salad recipe. It's fantastic! Have you been able to track down the recipe for the cornbread? I haven't had any luck finding it. By the way, your blog is great!

malisa said...

hru32,

i found this recipe but i cannot vouch for it since i haven't tried it yet. maybe i'll try it sometime next week when i am back in town. i made the salad a few times and used a cornbread mix made by a local nonprofit (women's bean project).

CORNBREAD LIKE BANDERA'S
Board: Copycat/Restaurant Recipe Requests at Recipelink.com
From: Thomas of Delaware 2-14-2006
1 cup butter, melted*
1 cup granulated sugar*
4 eggs
1 (15 oz) can cream style corn
1/2 (4 oz) can chopped green chili peppers, drained
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
SOME SUGGESTED TOPPINGS:
Jalapeno jelly
Honey
Butter

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet (use 6 inch cast iron skillets).

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, chiles, Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.

If using the skillet - watch carefully as edges may brown too much and time should be under an hour.

If desired, serve with suggested toppings.

katie said...

That was the BEST cornbread I've ever had in my LIFE!!! Truly AMAZING!!!! no need to add/delete or change the recipes in any way!

Jenwenfen said...

The cornbread was delicious. I've been wanting to get my hands on this recipe for a long time, so thank you for posting it! Now, any idea as to how they get that crumbly, crunchy texture on top?

Unknown said...

I put all of that into myfitnesspal and this salad has over 1,500 calories :(

blueislandoysterbar said...

Nice Post! Thanks for sharing this post. It is one of my all time favorite salads!! I love your humor and simplicity. Keep it up.

Best Denver Restaurants



Anonymous said...

Please don’t ever take this down - hands down the best salad I’ve ever made