Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dutch Oven Pulled Pork




Sometimes when I go through my old food photos and recipe drafts, I end up finding something I meant to blog about but never got around to doing it. Below is one such recipe. I made this back in August.

I don't pretend to be the expert on barbecue. I grew up in San Diego and I'm Asian. Despite these facts, I think my pulled pork ain't bad. Well...at the very least I can tell you what I do and do not like in my limited barbecue experience. I like KC style barbecue sauces...a little sweet but not overly sweet like Sweet Baby Rays.



The barbecue sauce that I've been using lately is Head Country. It hails from Oklahoma. And yes, that's a 1 gallon jug of the sauce. One of my coworkers is from Oklahoma. She gave me a sample. I loved it so much, I ended up getting a gallon. Before I discovered Head, I really like the sauce from a local barbecue joint called Brothers BBQ. It is a nice thick sauce with a lot of celery seed flavor. Another sauce I buy is Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy. The other sauce in the squeeze bottle is a North Carolina vinegar sauce. The recipe is at the end of this post.

I'm using a dutch oven but I've successfully made this using a slow cooker. The next time I cook pork shoulder, I'm going to try a Hawaiian style Kalua pork using my stash of Alaea sea salt.

Dutch Oven Pulled Pork

6 to 8 pound Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder (mine was 6.38 pounds)
4 cups water
4 ounces pickling salt
2/3 cups molasses
2 bay leaves
your favorite rub (I'm using Savory Spice Shop's Red Rocks Hickory Smoke Seasoning)
your favorite barbecue and vinegar sauces (recipe below)
buns

1. Combine water, pickling salt, molasses, and bay leaves. Pour over pork and brine at least 8 hours or overnight. (Some people like to use extra large ziploc bags. My pork shoulder fit perfectly into one of my plastic beverage pitchers.)

2. Remove pork from brine and pat dry. Cover the entire pork shoulder with rub.

3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

4. Heat a large dutch oven on stove. Sear the pork shoulder on all sides. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in preheated oven. Roast for 5 to 6 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let meat rest about 30 minutes to 1 hour and then shred using two forks.

5. Moisten meat with some of drippings. Serve with barbecue and vinegar sauces.

Recipe in Photos:

Brine:


Rub:


Sear:


Roast:


Shred:



Moisten:


North Carolina Pulled Pork Vinegar Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Texas Pete’s Hot Sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:
Heat everything together to dissolve sugar. Store and serve in a squeeze bottle.

This entry was posted in

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Change in bowel habits
Young children may have problems digesting some of the sugars in sweet drinks, which can lead to loose bowel motions and diarrhoea. This may cause slow growth if energy and nutrients are regularly lost from the body. When sweet drinks are removed from the child’s diet, bowel actions may improve.Food Display Cabinets