Monday, February 23, 2009

Carl Griffith's Oregan Trail Sourdough Starter


I received Carl Griffith's 1847 sourdough starter a few weeks ago. I was getting ready to leave town and did not want to activate it and leave. Taking the starter on the trip with me was not an option. I was tired all of last week and actually contemplated holding off on activating it since I have my other two starters in the refrigerator. They take up too much room. I actually don't keep a huge amount of starter on hand. I keep just a few tablespoons and allow it to rise. I think I can actually move them from the quart containers into smaller containers.

On a whim I decided to activate Carl's starter. I ran out of my quart containers. I thought it was impossible but it is possible. I just had soupgroup and I just made a huge pot of pho and froze the extra soup broth in the containers. I am curious how the Oregon Trail starter tastes. Barry (aka starter B) rose really well, smelled great, but I wasn't thrilled with the flavor. I got a really sour bread but the flavor was flat. I didn't get anything else. Maybe it needs to mature a little more. I baked with it when it was only a few weeks old. The pancakes were yummy but I think that was because of the milk and the other ingredients I used.

Aki (aka starter A) was turned into a loaf today. It is sitting in my refrigerator. I will bake it in the morning. I discard most of it on Sunday morning and fed it. I threw away part of it because I wasn't really planning on baking bread. More on Aki Sourdough loaf on a different post. Back to Carl.

I mixed the dried starter with bottled water, stirred, and stirred some more to get the particles to dissolve. It is pretty much like concrete. I let it sit a while. It took a while before it all dissolved. I smelled it. It already has a sour-ish smell. Not the good sour smell but the early stages of the starter smell.



After sitting for fifteen minutes and I still had huge chunks.
Finally after about half an hour the bits of dried starter started to dissolve. I then added bread flour for a thick pancake-like batter.

About 36 hours after reviving. The starter was all bubbly when I woke up in the morning. It looks like a metal spoon in the container but it is actually a plastic spoon that looks like metal.


I didn't throw away half before feeding because I was giving half of it away. It still more than doubled. The starter smells really yummy!
It is definitely easier to get a starter going with dried starter. I have some of Barry dried. I need to dry Aki and the Oregon Trail starter just in case something happens. I think I have too much Barry starter. I need to start giving some away.

7 comments:

SEEBEE said...

I hope you see this.

I just got some of Carl's starter and I'm trying to revive it. Should I be alarmed that I didn't see any real bubbling after the first day? I used to keep a starter with commercial yeast just so I wouldn't have to buy yeast packets all the time and it didn't look anything like this.

malisa said...

You have to remember that sourdough yeast is a different strain than regular commercial yeast. It takes a little while to revive. (It takes even longer to grow your old starter from plain water and flour.)

Don't be alarmed. I think it took mine about 36 hours before I saw any bubbles and I didn't use the starter until after several feedings.

SEEBEE said...

Thanks a lot Malisa. I love a lot of the recipes on your blog.

I just started my own blog and I'm gonna be experimenting a lot with this starter. I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out the next time you're bored.

lisafranchot@gmail.com said...

Hi Melissa,
I just received the starter in the mail but the link with the directions for revival seems to be gone. Would you mind terribly posting them?

Thank you for your trouble

malisa said...

lisa,

i didn't keep the directions i printed from the website but basically what i did was take the starter and mixed it with some bottled water until the pieces all dissolved and then i added some unbleached bread flour to form a thick batter. Everyday what you want to do is throw away half and then add the enough water and flour to get back to the same amount. Do this for a few weeks and your starter should be ready/strong enough to use.

Unknown said...

Hi Malisa,

I just got my Carl's starter but it came without instructions, would you mind to post them?

Thanks!

tash said...

Here is the link to the instructions: http://carlsfriends.net/revive.txt