Sunday, November 29, 2009

Asparagus Stir-Fry


I had a bunch of asparagus leftover from Thanksgiving so I decided to do a simple stir-fry. I also found a red bell pepper in the crisper. Stir-fries are really simple and you can use pretty much any meat and vegetable combination on hand. I used chicken breast because I love chicken but I've made this in the past with seitan, tofu, pork and beef.


1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Thai chili, chopped
MSG, to taste
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
fish sauce, to taste (about 1 tablespoon)
maggi sauce, to taste (about 1 tablespoon)

1. Mix chicken breast, garlic, chili, msg, salt, pepper and sugar in a small bowl and allow to marinate while prepping the veggies. Cut the asparagus into 2 inch pieces. (I am using thin asparagus so I do a straight cut. When I used the thicker asparagus, I usually cut on a bias.)
2. Heat a wok or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add chicken mixture and sauté until chicken is cooked through and slightly browned.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, toss everything together and cover with a lid. Cook about a minute or two until asparagus is cooked. Do not overcook the asparagus.



0 comments: