Friday, December 04, 2009

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


I bought a case of sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. I only needed five pounds of it so I spent the week before Thanksgiving eating baked sweet potatoes for dessert. I think the case were of the beauregard or the garnet variety. I typically do not like this type because most of the time they are cooked in syrup and topped with marshmallows. They are also very watery. I prefer the white or light yellow-fleshed varieties such as boniato, satsuma-ino, or the puple-fleshed varieties such as Okinawan.

We were having turkey burgers for dinner one day so I decided to baked some sweet potato fries.

- Two sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch by 1 1/2 to 2 inches long (this is called the batonnet cut if you are brushing up on your knife skills)
- canola oil (I'm using Enova)
- sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prep sweet potatoes and coat with oil and salt.
2. Spread sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. (This is where the silpat doesn't work too well so stick with aluminum foil.)
3. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes and then flip and cook another 15 minutes. Continue to flip until golden brown.

0 comments: