Friday, November 06, 2009

Crockpot California Chicken (or Non-Crockpot California Chicken)


One year we decided to donate the money we budgeted for our holiday lunch to an organization helping hurricane Katrina victims. We decided to have a potluck in the office instead. My contribution to the potluck was a 26 pound turkey with homemade mole sauce. My boss brought a delicious crockpot dish called Crockpot California Chicken. I asked him for a copy of the recipe. (I believe it came from a slow cooker cookbook.) The recipe is very simple and very un-gourmet but I really like it so it finds it way on the table every once in a while.

I don’t own a crockpot (and probably never will) so I make this in a dutch oven. My boss said his family usually make this using drumsticks or boneless skinless thighs instead of the whole chicken.

I tried serving with different sides. I prefer to serve it with brown rice. This particular night I served it with brown jasmine rice.

Ingredients
3 lb. chicken, quartered or 2 pounds boneless skinless thighs)
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup Heinz chili sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons chopped red peppers
1 (13.5 oz) can mandarin oranges , drained

Crockpot Method:
Arrange chicken in slow cooker. In separate bowl, combine juice, chili sauce, soy sauce, molasses, dry mustard and garlic salt. Pour over chicken. Cover. Cook on low 8-9 hours. Stir in green peppers and oranges. Heat 30 minutes longer. Serve 4-6.

Stovetop Method:
Heat a dutch oven on medium heat. Add a few tablespoons canola oil. Working in batches, brown the chicken pieces. Add the oj, chili sauce, soy sauce, molasses, dry mustard and garlic salt. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. Add peppers and mandarin oranges.

0 comments: