Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mom's Crab Rangoon and My Wonton Wrapped Shrimp






The bf loves crab rangoons (aka crab cheese wontons). You can only imagine his excitement when my mom made them for my friend's baby shower. He ate three dozen. He told me to get my mom's recipe since her wontons were better than the ones served in restaurants.

I called my mom and asked for her "recipe." She told me the ingredients. Her secret ingredient is Knorr chicken bouillon powder. She also adds frozen peas or frozen mixed vegetables to the filling.

I made the platter above to take over to dinner at a friend's house. It was a dinner for four.

Mom’s Crab Rangoons (Crab Cheese Wontons)

1 package 8 ounce cream cheese
2 stalks green onions, finely diced
3 sticks imitation crab meat, finely diced
½ cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
freshly ground pepper
1 package square wonton wrappers

1. Mix cream cheese, green onions, crab meat, peas, bouillon powder and ground pepper.

2. Fill wonton wrappers and shape. I use water to seal the edges. (I'm not wrapping them the same way they do it in the restaurant. My mom doesn't either. She says it is a pain. I make them more like tortellinis.)

3. Freeze them and then fry. (I don't know why but I always like to freeze my wontons and egg rolls before frying them.)



Place a spoonful of filling in the center (or off-center like me) and fold to form a triangle. Bring the two tips of th folded end together.


I also left a few as triangles to store in the freezer. I took the rest over to dinner at a friend's house. She also loves crab rangoons.


I think they look like little pudgy pokemon puffs.



And now the Wonton Wrapped Shrimp.

This is really not a recipe. One of my classmates in middle school showed me a very simple way to cook shrimp. We used small egg roll wrappers instead of wonton wrappers but I think both wrappers work well.

What you need:
Shrimp
Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
Wonton or small egg roll wrappers

Method:
Peel and devein shrimp but leave the tails on.
Dip shrimp in Mae Ploy sauce and coat well.
Wrap the shrimp.
Fry.

I told you it was easy.





1 comments:

Unknown said...

Is the shrimp raw?