Thursday, January 07, 2010

Mom's Prawns



I never buy prawns to cook at my own home. The only time I eat it is when I'm with my family. We either order it at Chinese restaurants or cook it at my parent's home. We had a few unexpected guests show up at the house so my mom defrosted some prawns and quickly put this dish together.

The bf was in charge of snipping off the whiskers but I think the beady eyes spooked him out so he ended up cutting off part of the prawn's face. We usually cook these prawns with their heads on. The entire prawn, including shell and head, are eaten.

2 pounds prawns, rinsed (leave the heads and the shells)
oil for deep frying
6 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
salt
MSG
freshly ground pepper
sliced jalapenos (optional)

1. Heat oil for deep frying. Deep fry prawns about 30 seconds. Drain.
2. In a wok, heat oil and add green onions, prawns, salt, MSG and freshly ground pepper. Stir everything together about another 30 seconds and serve. Garnish with sliced jalapenos if desired.

My sister wanted these fresh rice noodles so we made some. They are sort of a pain to make since everything is rolled and cut by hand. The noodles are made with rice flour and tapioca flour.


Mom also made a quick vegetarian "pad thai." I think they were a little too yellow but they were still very yummy.


This was the best pineapple ever. It was sweet and juicy.

1 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Malisa - For some reason the line "I think the beady eyes spooked him out" cracked me up.... I can just imagine how that GEICO commercial must really freak him out too! Happy New Year!