Friday, February 26, 2010

Enstrom’s Style Almond Toffee with Matzah


I made Enstrom’s style almond toffee but with a matzah cracker base. I should call it “Enstrom’s Gone Jewish Almond Toffee.” I started off making Enstrom’s almond toffee but then I remembered my 7th grade home ec teacher used to make a shortcut toffee with saltine crackers and melted toffee and chocolate chips. I didn’t have any saltines but I did have a case of matzah crackers. Matzah crackers are great because they are thinner and crispier than saltines.

The toffee was a hit but we hardly made a dent so I packed it up and took it to work. I had to get the yummy toffee out of the house. Every time I sat down, I had a small piece in my hands. The toffee disappear in a matter of hours. I even got a request for the recipe. You know when something is good when someone asks you for the recipe.

Enstrom’s Style Almond Toffee with Matzah

1 pound salted butter
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 ¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water
1 ½ cup whole almonds
3 to 4 matzah crackers
12 ounces chocolate chips

1. Heat a 3 to 5 quart heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add the butter and to melt slowly. Add the salt. Add the sugar and the water. Stir slowly with a wooden spoon.

2. Continue to cook about 7 minutes. The water will evaporate and the sugar will slowly melt and combine with the butter. Add the almonds.

3. Continue to slowly stir the mixture for about 10 to 15 minutes or until it reaches the hard crack stage (about 290 degrees F on a candy thermometer). The sugar will turn a dark caramel color. (Do not undercook the sugar or you will get chewy toffee. Don’t overcook the toffee or you’ll end up with burnt sugar.)

4. While the toffee is cooking, prep a half sheet pan and line with foil or a silpat or both. Lay the matzah crackers on the lined sheet pan. You will have to break the crackers and piece them together. Put the sheet pan on trivets or cooling rack to protect your counter from the heat of the toffee.

5. One the toffee mixture has reached 290 degrees; pour it over the matzah cracker and spread to evenly coat.

6. Sprinkle the toffee evenly with chocolate chips and let sit about five minutes (or until chips are shiny) and then spread the melted chips to evenly coat the toffee.

7. This is optional but you can also sprinkle some sliced almonds (or crushed powdered almonds like they do at Enstrom’s) on the chocolate layer.

8. Allow toffee and chocolate to cool completely and then break into smaller pieces.



I used mini chocolate chips.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this candy this past weekend. Your directions were perfect. So good!