Saturday, March 27, 2010

Challah French Toast



My favorite bread for french toast is challah (my second favorite is brioche). Whenever I find challah french toast on the menu of a hip breakfast joint, I always have to order it. I think I make a pretty darn good french toast. (I used the same recipe but with a soft french baguette during out snow trip earlier this year. I ended up feeding 30 adults plus several children.)

2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
pinch salt
1 extra large egg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon brown sugar
6 thick slices challah bread

1. Mix all ingredients (except bread) together. Whisk together.
2. Heat a skillet or griddle. Coat with butter and oil. Dip each slice of bread in mixture and fry each side until golden brown.


I usually buy my challah at the Whole Foods in Cherry Creek. They usually carry the braided loaf most of the year and the braided crown around Rosh Hashanah.

3 comments:

Jack said...

translation please. Great recipe Malisa! Keep'em coming!

Chris Ward said...

I love making challah french toast. It's seriously the best. Would I be able to use your picture of your french toast for a ebook cover? Haha! It's basically going to be a recipe book for 12 different kinds of French Toast. Thanks!

Chris Ward said...

I love making challah french toast. It's seriously the best. Would I be able to use your picture of your french toast for a ebook cover? Haha! It's basically going to be a recipe book for 12 different kinds of French Toast. Thanks!