Friday, June 05, 2009

Chinese Birthday Cake Take Three



I've been making this a lot. It is my favorite cake and the bf actually enjoys it. I'm still trying different variations. This time I baked it in a tube pan. It is the same recipe as Chinese Cake Take Two. This time I didn't forget the vanilla. I think I actually prefer it without the vanilla. It tastes more authentic without it. The texture was lighter this time because I inverted the cake while I let it cool.

I sliced it into two layers and layered with fresh whipped cream and sliced strawberries.

Chinese Sponge Cake (aka Chinese Birthday Cake)
(Gai Don Go)
9 eggs, separated
1 cup cake flour, sifted
½ cup all purpose flour, sifted
½ tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. baking powder
1 c. sugar
½ c. water
¼ c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla

1. Beat egg yolks until thick, add sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, water, oil and vanilla and beat until creamy. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Fold a third of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold the rest of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until incorporated.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. If using a 9x13 pan, bake for about 20-25 minutes. If using tube pan, bake 35-40 minutes and invert the pan while cooling.
5. When cool, top or layer with fresh whipped cream and sliced strawberries.

1 comments:

Stucco Contractors Milwaukee said...

Thhank you for this