Sunday, May 02, 2010

Stir-Fried Rice Cakes (Chao Nian Gao)



The first time I had rice cake ovals (Nian Gao) was at Luong Hai Ky Restaurant on Convoy in San Diego. It is simply called pan-fried rice cake on the menu. My brother and his fiancée ordered it as our appetizer. I didn’t know what to expect but I ended up really liking the chewy texture of the cakes. I forgot about the cakes until the last time I went to Mr. Dumpling with them. They ordered it again. This time, the rice cake ovals were stir-fried like chow fun noodles. The char flavor from the hot wok and the sweetness of the cabbage and onions made the dish really tasty.

I bought a huge bag of the rice cakes from the Korean market. (Apparently, there isn’t much difference in the Chinese and the Korean versions.) I had a huge bag but I really didn’t know much about them. I did some reading online but there is very little information on these tasty little morsels of goodness. To further confuse things, they are called Nian Gao, the same name for other types of sweet and savory rice cakes. Most of the blogs I found simply had pictures of Chao Nian Gao ordered at a restaurant. I couldn’t find a recipe for the version I had at Mr. Dumpling so I looked at the picture I took and attempted to recreate it. How difficult could it be? Isn't it basically chow fun?

I think it was a success. The bf took a few bites, looked at me and asked, "how much of these noodles do we have left?" He wanted to make sure we had more rice cakes for another meal. I assured him that I only used 4 cups and we still had quite a bit left.


Stir-Fried Rice Cakes (Chao Nian Gao)


4 cups rice cakes (rice ovals or ovalettes)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound chicken breast, thinly sliced (or pork or beef)
½ onion, sliced
½ head green cabbage , shredded
1 carrot, shredded
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon Shao Xing wine
1 tablespoon sugar
MSG, to taste
Salt , to taste
Pepper, to taste
Green onions
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (or other seafood)

1. Prep rice cake according to package directions. (It may take some advance planning if using dried rice cakes.) I’m using semi-dried refrigerated rice cakes. The directions on the package is for soup so I just went ahead and boiled them for about a minute, drained and set aside.

2. Prep the rest of the ingredients. This goes really quickly so mise en place is everything.

3. Heat a large wok or stir-fry pan on high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add garlic and onions. Sauté a few minutes.

4. Add chicken breast and sauté until cooked through. Add cabbage and carrots. Cook until moisture has evaporated. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, wine, sugar, MSG, salt and pepper. Toss everything together and taste. Adjust seasoning.

5. Add boiled rice cakes, green onions and shrimp. Toss to coat. Cook a few minutes until heated through. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water or chicken broth.




Feel free to use less meat and seafood. My version is protein-heavy since the bf likes a lot of chicken and shrimp.


I love it when I take pictures of food and capture the steam from the food. Someone once asked how to take pictures of steaming food and not fog up the camera's lens. The answer is simple: stand back and zoom in.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm-mmm. This looks even better than Mr Dumplings. You'll have to make some for us in June. :)

Ausgarium said...

Thank you for the Post, Malisa. I was desperate trying to find a recipe for Chao Nian Gao. I usually eat it at a Cantonese restaurant in Lisbon, Portugal. Now I can try it at home :-D
Best regards from Portugal

Óscar