Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thai-Style Roast Chicken (Gai Yang)




I eat a lot of chicken. I went through a long semi-vegetarian phase and just started eating red meat not too long ago. I still have an aversion to red meat that tastes like meat. Because I eat a lot of chicken, I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. I usually like my chicken marinated with lemongrass but the bf hates lemongrass. I still wanted an Asian marinade so I decided on Thai gai yang.

Authentic Thai gai yang is usually made with a whole bird that has been spatchcocked or flattened and cooked over a charcoal grill. I looked in the freezer and found a tray of chicken leg quarters. I marinated the leg quarters in a Thai-style marinade and then I roasted them in the oven.

Thai Style Roast Chicken

3 pounds chicken leg quarters or whole chicken
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons coriander root, minced
2 tablespoon fish sauce
½ cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon ground tumeric
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon maggi sauce
MSG
black pepper

1. Marinate chicken in marinade at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange chicken in a single layer on baking sheet. Cook until chicken is golden.





We visited the Paint Mines Interpretive Park last weekend. It is located east of Colorado Springs. It was beautiful out.

These structures are called hoodoos and are the inspiration for Big Thunder Mountain ride at Disney.


Who can resist taking pictures of wild flowers?


A close up of one of the clay-like rocks.


0 comments: