Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vietnamese Avocado Shake (Sinh To Bo)


This shake sounds very strange to those who have never had it. Most people who see this on a Vietnamese menu will usually order the strawberry version. I can’t even remember the first time I tried this. I believe it was at Phuoc Loc Tho (or Asian Garden Mall) in Westminster, California.

I get excited every time I see Sinh To Bo on the menu. However, I am disappointed most of the time when I order it. Most restaurants skimp on the avocado and all you get is milky crushed ice.

Here’s a list of some of the varieties:
Sinh To means fruit shake in Vietnamese.
Sinh To Bo = avocado shake.
Sinh To Dam = aloe vera shake.
Sinh To Chuoi = banana shake.
Sinh To Cam = orange shake.
Sinh To Dau = strawberry shake.
Longevity Brand sweetened condensed milk is my brand of choice. It's my daddy's favorite and it's my favorite. I use it in Vietnamese coffee, ovaltine and sometimes spread it on a nice Vietnamese-style French baguette.


Avocado Shake:
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed, and cubed
1 cup ice cubes
¼ to 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
¼ to ½ cup milk (just enough to get your blender working)

Toss everything into a blender and blend until smooth. You want to use the least amount of milk to get your blender going. Serve in a glass with a long ice teas spoon.

1 comments:

Ravenous Couple said...

Perfect for the summer weather! We'll love for you to participate in Delicious Vietnam, a monthly blogging even to celebrate Vietnamese cuisine!