Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Thai Feast

Brown Rice:

Chicken Red Curry:

Salad:

Pad Thai first batch:

Pad Thai second batch:

Purple Rice Pudding:


I invited a few people over for dinner on Sunday night. I only took a few pictures of the amazing meal. By the time I remembered the digital camera on the coffee table we were already rinsing the dishes for the dishwasher. I made shrimp & tofu pad thai, chicken red curry, shrimp & chicken tom yum soup, salad with thai peanut dressing, and my mom's purple rice pudding with taro.

I've posted the pad thai, tom yum, and a version of my red curry before. For the dressing it was my ex boyfriend's mom's recipe. It tastes wonderful and I am not kidding about the ingredients. I tweaked her recipe a bit but it still preserves the integrity of her recipe.

Thai Peanut Dressing
oil
1 clove garlic
3 T Peanut Butter
Bottle of Italian Dressing (I'm not kidding!)
yolks from the hard boiled eggs used for the salad
msg (I am asian. I am not afraid of msg)
salt
pepper

Saute the garlic in a little oil. Add the peanut butter and italian dressing. Crumble the egg yolks and add the mixture. Add salt & pepper to taste. That is it. Don's mom used to put everything into a blender. I just cook it all together since I have to saute the garlic.

Mom's Purple Rice Pudding
1/2 cup Thai black/purple rice
water
Taro root, cubed
salt
sugar
1 can coconut milk

Rinse rice. Bring rice and water to a boil. Simmer until rice is almost tender. Add taro root. When taro root is cooked through add remaining ingredients. Serve warm or cold.

I sometimes like it warm. My friend Stephanie prefers it cold.

0 comments: