Monday, April 24, 2006

Crú - A Wine Bar

Downtown Denver - Larimer Square
http://www.cruawinebar.com/

From left to right:

Charles Cimicky "Trump" '04 Barossa Valley, Australia
Round and juicy, not as dense as most Barossa Shiraz, but showing lots of ripe cherry and peppery spice notes. Tannins are soft.

Qupe, '04 Central Coast, California
A Firm, taut wine, with an earthy clay flavor at the core, with meat, beef and just-ripe berry flavors

Forefathers '04 McLaren Vale, Australia
Dense, but it seems to get more transparent with each sip. It has pepper and licorice overtones to the dark berry and cherry flavors, lingering enticingly as the finish starts to float.


We decided to go try out the new wine bar in Larimer Square after work on Friday. I highly recommend the place for the wine. The food was good but the portions were tiny for the price. Lisa and I split a few items. Lisa paid for my wine and the calamari, pizza, and the mussels we shared. I don't know why she did. it was too expensive for her to pay for the entire outing.

All three glasses in front of me were for me. It was part of the Sexy Shiraz wine flight. The one on the left was the yummiest. I have to go get myself a bottle of it.

I was a little nervous about venturing downtown right before a Rockies game. (I no longer live downtown so it is so damn inconvenient to drive downtown.) I found a spot right next to the Cheesecake Factory. It was only a few blocks from Larimer Square. I love Larimer Square. The few places that I have eaten at have all been excellent. When I got to the bar, Lisa and I were the only ones there so we grabbed a small table. A few minutes later Nicole arrived and said Oz and her husband were on their way. We asked the server to move us to a bigger table. Aaron showed up a few minutes later and then Karen showed up. We had to pull up an extra chair. I stayed until about 8:00. I ran across the street to the Market and grabbed two slices of the Spring Fling cake. I smiled at the guy. He gave me extra large slices of the cake. I took a slice over to Chris for his birthday. He agreed. It is the best cake in the world.

0 comments: