Sunday, April 12, 2009

Quiche Lorraine with Spinach or Quiche Florentine with Bacon


Quiche is one of those dishes that I like make when I feel uninspired. It tastes good and it is simple to put together. It can be made with a combination of different ingredients. I’ve made quiche with leeks, shallots, Canadian bacon, capicolla ham, sausage, mushrooms, asparagus, red peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms…just about anything found in the back corners of the fridge. I find asparagus and red peppers make a stunning presentation but the Lorraine/Florentine hybrid still remains my favorite.

As I am making these quiches today I even have half a large bell pepper, a basket of criminis and a few stalks of asparagus that I need to use up but since these quiches are for me, I am sticking with bacon, onions and spinach. When I make quiche for a crowd, I tend to mix up the filings and strive for a more striking presentation.

The recipe below is for two quiches. The egg mixture may be just enough for two quiches but if you pack your quiches with filling (like I did), you may have a little leftover. For me a little extra is better than not enough. The amount is usually just right but today the bf asked me to over-fill them with bacon and cheese. The extra egg mixture is not a problem. I used it to make an extra crustless quiche.


Quiche
Yields two quiches

8-16 ounces bacon, diced (depends on how much bacon you want)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
10 large eggs
3 cups half-and-half (or a combination of milk, half-and-half and/or heavy cream)
salt (not too much since the bacon is already salty)
black pepper
pinch ground nutmeg
½ cup frozen spinach, defrosted and squeeze out excess liquid
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (or any favorite cheese such as swiss or mozzarella)
2 piecrusts

Directions
Heat oven to 375° F.
Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Discard (or save for later) all but 1 tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat. Add the onions. Cover and cook until the onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Fit the piecrusts in the quiche pans. Spread half of bacon and onion mixture on bottom of each crust. Layer spinach on top and then top with shredded cheese. Pour in egg mixture.
Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

I usually bake the quiche in a pan like this but today I was a little lazy and bought frozen piecrusts in pie tins.

Egg mixture:


Rendering bacon:Bacon and onions:

Spread bacon and onion mixture on bottom:
Top with spinach:

Top with cheese:Pour egg mixture over filling:

Bake about 40 minutes at 375 degrees until set and slightly golden on top:
This entry was posted in

3 comments:

CiaotravelerArt.blogspot.com said...

I just tried your recipe for this quiche and I loved it. I used a little more cheese and two cups heavy and one cup regular whipping creams. It looked just like your photo. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I loved your recipe. Actually this was quite interesting for children too. Thank you for your valuable post share with us

Restaurants in Chennai

Anonymous said...


Hi there,
Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking for 3 ½ Dozen Fresh Egg Bundle , 6 Dozen Egg Pack for Home Delivery , beef carcasses, Beef Cuts Eyeround  ,Beef Cuts Knuckle ,Frozen Beef FlanksFROZEN MEAT, Frozen Pork Collar, Frozen Pork Shoulder, PASTURE-RAISED EGGS 12CT LARGE  ,Pig Ear with the well price and our services are very fast. Click here for
Email: info@bestbrazilchickenonline.com