Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese with Lil' Smokies




If you're looking for gourmet macaroni and cheese - this ain't it. There is not one ounce of roux or lobster to be found in this recipe. The first time I tried this I was blown away by the creaminess of this mac and cheese. "Real" mac and cheese can sometimes be grainy but not this one. The recipe is from an old coworker. He was a former Executive Chef who left the food industry to work in finance. He gave me his secret recipe for feeding his kiddos.

Kids love this version of mac and cheese. I made this for the two adorable little girls who are visiting Denver from upstate New York. The lil' smokies add a nice smoky flavor to the dish. I like it topped with cold peas.

1 pound macaroni or shells
1 14 or 16 ounce package Lil' Smokies sausage
4 ounces or half can Evaporated Milk
16 ounces Velveeta Cheese, cut into cubes (One large block of Velveeta is 32 ounces)
4 ounces shredded mild cheese (I like cheddar or mozzarella.)

1. Bring a large pasta pot of water to a boil. Salt the water. Boil pasta until tender. Drain.
2. Brown the sausage in a dutch oven.
3. Add evaporated milk and cheeses. Reduce heat to low. Gently melt the cheeses over low heat. When melted, add drained pasta. Stir to coat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw now you're talkin'! Lil smokies in a M n C. Delicious. If and when I make it for our kids I think I'll just use normal baby frank's as I don't think they'll appreciate a smokey taste.  ツ

Unknown said...

Do you have to use evaporated milk?