Sunday, February 08, 2009

Sourdough Bread

This is the first sourdough loaf from Barry the starter. The bread tasted really pretty good. I was a little worried that it wouldn't be sour. I didn't like the shape. I was frustrated this morning so I kinda just let it bake. I still have to perfect this loaf.

First I refreshed the starter. I took a cup of starter, added a cup of bread flour and a cup of water.


I let it bubble up for about 4-5 hours and then I refrigerated it. Below is the starter the next morning after taking it out of the fridge.
There are quite a few steps in between. I didn't take pictures of all the steps. I mixed the refreshed starter with about 3 cups of bread flour and 1 cup of water. I mixed it up and kneaded it for about 10 minutes. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then added the salt and kneaded for another 10 minutes. I gathered it into a ball and covered it. I left to get my hair cut. When I came back the dough had some bubbles. I gently folded the dough every hour or so for the next five hours. I then gathered it into a ball and then put it into a basket lined with a towel that I dusted generously with flour. I left it in the cold garage overnight. I baked it in the morning.

Below is the finished bread.

0 comments: