Monday, May 25, 2009

Coco Rico Nuoc Cham


Okay this is a bastardized version of the Vietnamese dipping sauce nuoc cham. I use a coconut soda called Coco Rico. Coco Rico is a Puerto Rican soda. I sometimes make and even more bastardized version using Coca Cola as the base. I cannot take the credit for this sauce. My aunt said her Vietnamese friends told her their little secret.

Sometimes I will mash fresh Thai chilies and garlic with a mortar and pestle but I have jars of chili garlic sauces in the fridge and they are so convenient. I used a tablespoon from each jar. One jar is the Huy Fong brand. The bottle is plastic and has a green lid. The characteristic rooster is the trademark of the company. Huy Fong also makes the original Siracha sauce. The other jar I use comes in a glass bottle. It is a Thai company called Jack Hua. The sauce has large chili chunks instead of a paste. Both sauces are vinegar based.

Nuoc Cham is great for egg rolls, bun (vermicelli noodle) bowls, Vietnamese broken rice dishes, Vietnamese crepes (banh xeo), banh cuon and other Vietnamese dishes. I love pouring an entire bowl of it on top of my vermicelli noodle bowls.

Bastardize Dipping Sauce:
½ can Coco Rico coconut soda or Coca Cola soda
¼ cup fish sauce (Three Crabs brand)
1 lime, juice
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch MSG
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (Huy Fong or Jack Hua brand)
or
1 clove garlic, minced
2 thai chili peppers, smashed

optional:
shredded carrots

Mix everything together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let sauce sit a few hours or overnight before use.

0 comments: