Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Egg Rolls: Ambiguous Origins...Perhaps China?

No recipe for this. I basically used the same filling for these egg rolls as I used for the Vietnamese egg rolls. The only difference is omit the sugar, use carrots instead of sweet potatoes and use cabbage instead of potatoes. These egg rolls keep better, are less temperamental and are easier to make but in my opinion are not as tasty as Vietnamese egg rolls.

I usually make them the same time as Vietnamese egg rolls and either freeze them uncooked or sometimes cooked. They actually fry up better straight out of the freezer. The only reason I sometimes freeze them cooked is out of sheer laziness. I don’t particularly enjoy heating up a pot of oil to fry up a few egg rolls. I simply place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake them at 350 degrees for about half an hour or until crispy.

Serve with Nuoc Cham and green leaf lettuce.

0 comments: