Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hokkaido Milk Loaf in the Bread Machine


I haven't cooked much since returning from Vegas. I made this bread the weekend before but haven't had a chance to blog about it. I used the same recipe for the taro bread I made a while back. I reduced it by 25% in order to make it "work" in my bread machine. I find that standard 2-loaf recipes need to be reduced 25% to 30% in order to fit into the 2-lb pan. I forgot to change the crust setting from medium to light so the crust is a little too dark for my taste.

This is the bread found in many Chinese bakeries. I saw it on the shelf at the Chinese bakery in Vegas this past weekend. The bread is cottony soft, fluffy and slightly rich.

Hokkaido Milk Loaf

Ingredients:

By weight:
405 grams bread flour
45 grams cake flour
7.5 grams instant yeast
22.5 grams milk powder
60 grams sugar
6.75 grams salt
1 large egg
187.5 grams milk
112.5 grams heavy cream

Directions:
Toss everything in the bread machine and bake using the basic cycle on the bread machine.

0 comments: