Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Mango and Sticky Rice


The last time I had mango and sticky rice was when we all flew in the Bay Area for my little sister’s graduation. I flew from Denver to Oakland. My aunt and uncle flew from Denver to San Diego. Then they flew up to Oakland with my parents. During our trip we took a jaunt down to the Chinatown in Oakland. SF’s Chinatown is great for out-of-towners who want to sight see but we wanted food. My mom purchased a case of 18-20 ataulfo mangoes. (If we didn’t fly to Oakland, my mom would have purchased 15 cases like the time 99 Ranch had cases of ataulfo mangoes for $6 a case. We brought along a case whenever we visited family and friends.)

I had a craving since someone at worked mentioned it. I still had half a can of coconut milk in the fridge leftover from when I made pandan chiffon cake. I also had a few mangoes. Mango and sticky rice tastes better when made with ataulfo or champagne mangoes but regular mangoes still taste good. I don’t discriminate. I love all mangoes.

My mom likes to make her mango and sticky rice on the saltier side. I like to make mine with less salt and use a lower coconut milk to rice ratio. I mix a little of the coconut milk mixture with the rice and let it absorb.

I'm not doing another primer on cooking sticky rice. Here is a link to a previous post on preparing sticky rice. I like to make at least three cups of sticky rice and leave some for other meals. I have some chicken larb from the Cambodian restaurant.

2 cups cooked sticky rice
200 ml (half can) coconut milk
¼ cup sugar
pinch salt
mango, peeled and sliced

1. Start making the coconut milk mixture during the last ten minutes of the sticky rice steaming. In a small sauce pan, bring coconut milk, sugar and salt to a simmer. Cook about 5 minutes until the coconut milk is slightly reduced and sugar is melted.
2. When rice is done steaming, scoop out about two cups of rice and spoon about ¾ the coconut milk mixture on the hot rice and stir. Let the rice absorb the coconut milk.
3. To serve: Spoon the rice mixture onto serving plates, top with mango slices, the rest of the coconut milk mixture and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. You can also thicken the reserved coconut milk with a little arrowroot or tapioca starch before drizzling on top. I don’t think it is necessary.

0 comments: