Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sour Bamboo soup with Chicken


I believe this is a northern Thai or Laotian dish. I found a recipe on Joy’s Thai Food website but I didn’t follow her recipe. I don’t recall having this soup with lemongrass so I put something together using my memory.

This soup uses a different variety of basil called bai mang luk. I believe there are three main varieties of basil used in Thai cooking: Thai basil (bai horapa), holy basil (bai krapow), and lemon basil (bai mang luk). I believe bai mang luk is similar if not the same as lemon basil. (I’m not the expert on Thai herbs.) I have a lemon basil plant on my balcony right now. I am convinced that the fragrance is very similar to the bai mang luk plants that my grandma grows in her garden. I really should get some of her herb seeds. She has a wonderful variety of cilantro that is a thousand times better than the variety sold in most grocery stores. The seeds origins are from southern China. I think she brought it with her from China.

Spicy Sour Bamboo Soup
1 boneless chicken breast, sliced or 1 pound chicken drumsticks or thighs
1 slice dried galangal root
2-5 thai chilies
1 jar sour bamboo (I think I used a 24 ounce jar)
salt
pepper
MSG
handful of lemon basil leaves
2 green onions, roughly chopped

Method:
In a medium stock pot, bring about four cups of water to a boil. Add chicken, galangal root and thai chilies. (I like to roast the chilies over an open flame first but it is not necessary.) Simmer until chicken is cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients and return to a boil. Serve with jasmine rice.

0 comments: