Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gazpacho


I cannot take credit for this recipe. One of my dear friends makes this gazpacho every summer. I love it but I never make it because this makes a HUGE batch and I am the only one that will eat gazpacho. The bf doesn’t like gazpacho. Whenever I crave it I will stop by Whole Foods and buy a little container of their gazpacho.

This last weekend we got together to cook a few things for our dear friend that just had a baby last week. We made Whole Foods tuna cranberry salad, Whole Foods egg salad, Israeli couscous soup, fresh baked bread, breakfast burritos (for their freezer), and gazpacho.

Gazpacho

2 hothouse cucumbers
1 each red, yellow, and green bell peppers, cored and seeded
12 plum tomatoes
1 red onion
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
6 garlic cloves
64 ounce bottle of tomato juice
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup good olive oil
kosher or sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For Garnish:
Avocado slices (not pictured above because I forgot to slice up the avocado)

Directions:

Roughly chop vegetables so that they fit easily in food processor chute. Process each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until all vegetables are coarsely chopped. (I prefer a my gazpacho with a little more texture. You can blend everything for a more liquid gazpacho.)

After each vegetable is processed, transfer them into a very large bowl and add the tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. You want to let it sit for a little while for the flavors to meld.

I find that the gazpacho will last a few days in the fridge. Some people will eat it even after week. I rarely eat leftovers but this is one dish that I will eat even after sitting in the fridge for three days.

0 comments: