Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Almond Float (Almond Dofu)


I'm a little embarrassed to post this because it doesn't require any real cooking. It is mid-week and I'm too tired to cook. Someone at work said that the time change has really affected his biorhythms. The time change has also thrown my biorhythms out of kilter.

Almond Float is a very popular Hong Kong Dessert and is usually served on one of the carts at dim sum. I never get it at dim sum because it is so easy to make. On Sunday, the group I was with was curious about the jiggly brown stuff on the cart. I told them that it was probably coffee flavored agar agar. Agar agar? What's that? I told them that agar agar is a gelatin derived from seaweed unlike the J-E-double L-O that was derived from hooves. Someone added "horse hooves" to the conversation. Well actually it is from the hooves of many types of animals. I don't think Knox and JELLO is very discriminating.

Agar agar is a gelatin alternative for vegans. It is also often found at the bottom of petri dishes as a microbial culture medium. I've actually used it to make those fragrant gels in the little mason jars. Bath & Body Works used to sell them. I made 50 jars as favors for a baby shower. You can buy agar agar in powdered form (Telephone Brand) and in long threads.

The group tried the coffee agar dessert. This particular dim sum establishment did not have the almond float. I told the group that I will make the almond variation for them to try. I searched for the almond float agar mix at the asian grocery store. I couldn't find it. When I got home, I found a packet in my pantry.

Why packet? I've tried making this dessert using plain agar, milk, almond extract, and sugar. I wasn't too crazy about the flavor. Perhaps it was the almond extract I was using? I tried a couple different brands of almond extract and still a no go. I prefer the flavor of the mix. There are two brands that I like. The first is JenYi brand "Almon" Dofu mix and the second is Lobo brand Almond Agar Dessert mix. I'm using the Lobo brand this time.

1 envelope Lobo Almond Agar Dessert Mix
3 cups water
1 can fruit cocktail
maraschino cherries (optional)

- Follow directions on packet.
- Allow mixture to set.
- Cut into cubes. (I decided to put them into little plastic cups instead.)
- Serve with fruit cocktail.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries



0 comments: