Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bread Machine Buttermilk White Bread


I tested out my favorite buttermilk bread recipe (Peter Reinhart's recipe for white bread using the buttermilk variant) in the old bread machine last Friday. For the first go around I decided to follow the recipe exactly and see if any adjustments were even necessary. I tested the bread with the new inexpensive bread flour from Costco. I got 25 pounds for about 6 bucks. The bread was really tasty and the crumb was actually better than my last few attempts. I think the draft-free environment combined with the controlled proofing temp made for a better rise. The only problem I had was the 2-lb loaf rose a bit too much and crawled up higher than the pan. It touched the lid of the bread maker and it expanded so much at the top that the handle on the pan tore the crust. The top crust didn’t brown.

When the bf saw the loaf he asked, "what is that?" He said it looked like a “giant mushroom.” I don’t like the shape of bread machine loaves. Most bread machines have odd-shaped pans. I’ve been considering purchasing a new bread machine. The one I have is very old. It is plain white with no fancy bells or whistles. Other than the shape, it made a great loaf. It was also very convenient with a “set it and forget it” functionality. I do like the process of making bread but sometimes I just want it automated. This buttermilk bread recipe is one of my faves and I make it all the time. Some days I do not want to stick around and wait to complete all the steps. I just want bread.

Since I was very happy with the texture of the bread, I didn’t want to change the proportion of yeast or salt. High altitude adjustment guidelines are only guidelines and you do not always have to adjust the proportions. I’ve had success making this bread pretty much as is. I attribute the success to the buttermilk. Since the only problem I had was the excessive rising, resulting in a larger loaf and airier/fluffier bread, all I had to do was reduce the amount of dough.

Below is the original recipe reduced by 20%. This reduction yielded a perfect fit for my 2-pound bread machine. I didn’t reduce the egg. The measurements are a little strange but it was necessary. You can alternatively reduce the amount of yeast or increase the amount of salt but I think that will create a denser loaf.

1.2 cups (9.6 ounces) buttermilk, at room temperature
1.2 teaspoons (.30 ounces) salt
2.4 tablespoons (1.2 ounces) sugar or honey
1 large (1.65 ounces) egg, slightly beaten, at room temperature
just under ¼ cup (2 ounces) butter, melted
3.4 cups (15.2 ounces) unbleached bread flour
1.6 teaspoons (.176 ounce) instant yeast

Method:
Measure all ingredients into the pan of a bread machine. Select the regular/basic cycle and light crust. You may need to help the machine out by scraping with a rubber spatula. The dough will eventually form a ball and take care of the corners but a little insurance doesn't hurt. The entire cycle will take approximately 3 hours.

My bread machine is over 10 years old but it is still practically brand new. I think I used it a handful of times and gave up. I was using the Red Star yeast from Costco. The yeast yielded so many failures and for years I was afraid of baking yeasted breads. I tried using the machine for banana bread but I was never happy with the mixing. It did fine for mixing yeasted bread. I do help it out a little bit by scraping down the sides with a spatula. With the banana bread, I felt like I had to continually help it out. It was easier for me to mix by hand and bake in a regular oven.

I’m considering purchasing a new bread machine. I have to admit that the main reason why I am considering a new one is for aesthetic purposes. I really like the way the Cuisinart looks. I know the Zojirushi is one of the best bread machines on the market right now but it is not aesthetically pleasing. The shape of the loaf is preferable but it is definitely not something I would leave on the counter. Perhaps I should wait until the current bread maker die since it works just fine. I have no complaints other than the unattractive white color and the awkward loaf shape. I’ve been doing some research on bread machines and most are unattractive. Not very many manufacturers still make them and very few department stores still carry them.

This was the first attempt. The dough rose too high and touched the bread machine's lid. The top crust is flat and did not brown. I stuck it in the oven for a few minutes to brown but I didn't want to dry out the bread so I left it. The crust is a little darker. I used the medium crust setting. The crust was a little too thick.

This is the second attempt. I adjusted the recipe and reduced ingredients by 20%. The top crust is still not completely brown but I intentionally chose the light crust setting because I wanted a lighter, thinner crust.
This was the first attempt. The dough threatened to overflow even before the baking cycle began.


The second attempt. The finished loaf was the perfect size with a perfect crown.


My bread machine doesn't have a removable paddle so the paddle bakes right into the loaf. It is actually really easy to remove. The whole loaf slides right out of the pan.
A slice of attempt number 1. The bread had really good texture and I loved the fluffiness.
Texture of attempt number 2. I think the adjusted recipe had even better texture.


Another picture of loaf number 2.
Free-form slicing. I think my next purchase is a slicing guide. I would love a professional bakery slicer but they are sooo expensive. I didn't do too bad using my slicer knife. The key is to not to apply too much pressure.

4 comments:

Paul Banbury said...

Hi, have you continued with this experiment? I am trying it now, but I think I will use the dough only cycle on the bread machine, then bake the bread in the form of sandwich rolls.

malisa said...

paul - i haven't tried this recipe for rolls or buns. the recipe is peter reinhart's classic white bread recipe and it makes either 2 1-lb loaves, 18 dinner rolls, or 12 hamburger or hot dog buns. the original recipe calls for regular whole milk or buttermilk. i make the loaves with buttermilk because i like the tangy flavor. i would probably use whole milk for the sandwich rolls. i'm sure the rolls will work with the dough cycle of your bread machine. i've baked this bread in a regular oven and in a bread machine and both turned out well.

Paul Banbury said...

Malisa, I made these as hamburger buns. Proofed in bread machine, then formed and 2nd proof, in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes- perfect light tasty buns. Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

I just loved to taste the home made recipe. Thanks a lot for your valuable post section with us

Online Food Delivery Chennai