Friday, March 27, 2009

Post Blizzard Breakfast: Sourdough Buttermilk Pancakes



So we finally got the snow that I have been waiting for. It wasn't bad in the AM so I decided to go to work. The ground has been so warm that the snow initially melted as it hit the ground. We monitored the roads throughout the morning and they didn't look so bad. After a few hours, the ground cooled down and the snow started coming down quicker than the ground could melt. I think we waited too long to close the office. I sent the email to close at 1:00 pm but as I sent the email, I turned around to look outside and I saw that the weather had turned around. I left at noon, right as the blizzard was picking up steam.

Ever try to drive in a blizzard in a rear wheel drive car? It is a lot of fun. I got stuck going up a slight incline. I also got stuck as I was trying to pull in the garage. There was zero visibility. I was not a happy camper. I was so traumatized that I didn't even spend the snow day baking. I threw together a quick mac n cheese for lunch and a quick chicken noodle soup for dinner.

As I was getting ready for bed, I was thinking about breakfast. It was feeding time for the sourdough starters. The discard was perfect for making pancakes. I also had a half gallon of buttermilk in the fridge. I made sourdough pancakes a few weeks back but I've been wanting to try them with buttermilk instead of regular milk.

The night before: Empty your sourdough starter in a large bowl and stir in one cup of water. (This is assuming that you only have about 1 cup of stored starter like I do.) When dissolved, mix in a cup of flour. Stir to aerate, cover, and let stand at room temp over night. (I take this opportunity to clean out my starter storage container.)

The next day: Scoop out one cup of batter into your starter storage container and return to fridge. Mix in 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk to the remaining batter. Add 1 cup flour, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Mix gently. Just before cooking, gently incorporate 1 teaspoon baking soda. .


I like my pancakes with real maple syrup.
The bf likes his pancakes with strawberry syrup.

0 comments: