Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lotus Root Soup with Chicken



This soup is usually made with pork bones or pork ribs but since I still have an aversion to red meat and pork, I decided to make it with chicken drumsticks. I was a semi-vegetarian for many years and just recently started to eat red meat again. Maple bacon was my downfall. I'm still trying to slowly ease into the meat thing. I still cannot eat a steak or other types of red meat when it is presented as a hunk of meat.

When I was in culinary school, my friend Brooke grabbed a piece of chateaubriand and stuff it in my mouth. She said, "try some, it melts in your like butter." I was shocked. I managed to go through all those months of culinary school and not have to taste one thing that was made with red meat. I was really good at cooking and seasoning red meat dishes. I cooked for my dad all the time and I never tasted any of it. My entire family was amazed by this little skill of mine. I was asigned the beef bourgione recipe as one of my final exam items for my stocks and sauces class. I totally aced the test.

3 lotus root segments
handful of dried red dates (approximately 15-20)
4 chicken drumsticks
sea salt, to taste
fish sauce, to taste
water

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Wash lotus root thoroughly. Peel the outside of the lotus root with a vegetable peeler and slice into approximately 1/4 inch segments. Discard the dry ends.
3. Add chicken, lotus root, and dates to the pot. Bring to a boil and then lower temp to a simmer. Season with salt, black pepper, and fish sauce. Simmer soup for 2-4 hours.




0 comments: