Sunday, March 01, 2009

Black Rice Pudding with Taro



This is one of my mom's favorite desserts. Black rice has a wonderful fragrant aroma and chewy texture. This rice is sometimes steamed and topped with an sweet egg custard, mashed mung beans, or sweetened shredded coconut. I like to make it into a pudding-like dessert. It is not exactly pudding-like since I prefer mine with a little more liquid. It will actually thicken up a bit as it sits in the liquid.

Black rice can be found at most asian grocery stores. It is sometimes labeled Indonesian black rice or forbidden rice. I think real forbidden rice is different from black rice but many "exotic" ingredients are often mislabeled. You have to look for the long-ish grain. Forbidden rice is a shorter grain rice. Both are very high in an antioxidant called anthocyanin.

I always end up with more than what I plan for because this rice really expands in the water. I tried to stick with just half a cup of rice this time. Some people will mix regular glutinous rice when making black rice to extend it. I see this in the steamed version.

1/2 cup black rice
water, as needed
1 can Savoy brand coconut milk (I use Savoy brand for desserts. The coconut cream doesn't solidify when cold.)
pinch sea salt
1 to 2 cups diced taro root
sugar, as needed
few drops pandan extract, optional

1. Rinse black rice several times. Bring black rice and water to a boil. You will need to add more water as it is absorbed by the rice. Boil for about 30 minutes.
2. Cover and let stand a few hours or boil until tender. I like the boil, cover, and leave it method because I don't have to monitor the pot and it allows me to leave to run errands.
3. Boil taro root until tender and add to rice.
4. Add coconut milk, sugar, salt, and pandan extract.

The lighting is a little off. The color is not quite right. It is a deep purple color.

0 comments: