Sunday, September 13, 2009

Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken with Rice (Com Ga Nuong Sa)


I usually order either the noodle (bun) or the rice (com) at Vietnamese restaurants. I prefer chicken over other types of meats but sometimes I will be a little adventurous and order the combination version.

This week I had a craving for the rice version. I went to a local Vietnamese restaurant and ordered a bowl and thought...this shouldn't be too difficult to make. I decided to take a stab at this dish.

1 pound chicken tenders (or bonesless thighs)
1/2 stalk lemon grass, finely minced
1 thai chili pepper, finely minced (my mom just brought me a large bag of thai chilis from San Diego)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon MSG
salt
pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon canola oil

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Allow to marinate a few hours and grill. (I grilled some sliced green onions to top the chicken.)
Serve with steamed rice, sliced lettuce, sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, bean sprouts and nuoc mam sauce.


Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
juice of one lime
shredded carrots

0 comments: