Monday, September 14, 2009

Chicken Egg Rolls

I wrapped 75 egg rolls last Friday, froze them in layers and then fried them on Saturday morning. I like to make a large batch of egg rolls and freeze them. Sometimes I freeze them prior to frying and other times after frying. They are better frozen in their un-fried state but so much more convenient when frozen after frying. All I have to do is heat them up in an oven for about 15 minutes and they crisp right back up.




I've had this All-Clad 6-quart deep saute pan for a while but I never thought about using it for deep frying. I like my electric deep fryer but that darn thing fries about 5 egg rolls at a time. I wanted to fry in large batches. When I opened the Williams-Sonoma catalog, I saw this set up and wanted to give it a try. I didn't have the fry basket or the tongs but I have the pan. I thought about buying the basket but never really got around to look for it. It is so awesome.

I fried all 75 egg rolls in about 3-4 batches. It isn't my mom ginormous wok but it worked really well for me. So if you are looking for something to take care of your deep frying, I highly recommend this pan. The only downside is that it is not as fool-proof as an electric deep fryer. You can't set the temperature and wait for the light. You can use a separate thermometer. I've never found a need for one. I learned how to deep fry from my mom and we never used thermometers. After a while you just learn how to look at the oil and you can tell if it is hot enough. You can also dip a piece of your food in the oil to see if it sizzles. You also learn to adjust the heat of the oil between batches by judging the rate the food is cooking.

0 comments: