Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lion Brand Coffee - Toasted Coconut


I'm not a flavored coffee person but on a whim I grabbed a bag of Lion Brand coffee in the Toasted Coconut flavor at Target in Hawaii. I grabbed a few different bags of coffee thinking I would give them as gifts. On my return, I don't know why I decided to try the Toasted Coconut. I had unflavored Lion coffee and Tully's and Newman's K-Cups for the Keurig.

Using ground coffee in the K-Cup filter is not as convenient as using a prepackaged K-Cup. I've had the reusable filter for a while but it sat in the box while I used my Tully's K-Cups. One Saturday, I opened the bag of Toasted Coconut, filled the reusable K-Cup filter and brewed a cup of coffee. I added a little sugar and half and half. It was the most delicious cup of coffee I have ever tasted. Wait, I don't even like flavored coffees. How can I possible love this flavored coffee?

It is rich, smooth and not overpoweringly coconuty. Most of the time flavored coffees have a chemical aftertaste. Not the Lion Toasted Coconut. I look forward to Saturday and Sunday mornings because of Lion Toasted Coconut.

I am sad because I drank the last cup last weekend. Don't panic. I can probably order it online. Or ask Scott to send me some. Or wait until I go to San Diego and hit up the Lion Coffee Shop. Oh darn, Yelp says that the coffee shop closed but someone in the comments sectioned mentioned the monthly coffee club. Five bags of coffee shipped monthly or bimonthly with free shipping. They only take orders over the phone.

I've been meaning to call all week but when I remember in the mornings, it is too early in Hawaii and then I forget as my day gets busy. Today, after cooking dinner, I looked at the time. It was only 6:30 so 3:30 in Hawaii. I called and talked to the nicest lady. I chose two bags of ground and three bags of whole bean. I figured the whole bean would keep better and the ground, well just in case I get too lazy to grind the beans. I was tempted to try the vanilla or chocolate macadamia nut flavors but I decided to stick with my love.

Now I'm thinking about buying a regular coffee maker. (I gave my old one away when I got the Keurig.) The Keurig has served me well. I usually only drink a cup of coffee on the weekends. During the week, I drink the coffee at work (another one of favorite coffees: Tully's Madison Blend). I'm the only one who drinks coffee so brewing coffee in a large coffee maker was always a waste. Now I find that I am drinking a second and third cup of this coffee and having to clean the filter between each cup has become somewhat of a pain.

What coffee maker should I buy? I thought about a grind and brew but I read bad reviews. I want something not too large with a thermal pot instead of the heated glass pot. I'm not in a rush since my Keurig is still doing a great job.

The nice lady said my order will ship tomorrow or Monday. I should get my shipment next week. I love getting presents in the mail =)
This entry was posted in

0 comments: