Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chinese Birthday Cake Take Four (or Five)


I've been a little lazy with posting again. I'm still cooking. (I just downloaded tons of pictures off the camera.) I've just been a little busy with family (preparing for their arrival, entertaining them and then recovering from entertaining).

I've been so out of it that I baked a cake (and made 75 egg rolls and 3 dozen zucchini muffins) to take to a birthday party and when I got to the party, I discovered that the party is next Saturday. Maybe next time I need to learn to read the date correctly on the invitation.

By special request, I made this birthday cake for the cutest 2 year old girl. (I will be making another one next week.) It will be three straight weeks of Chinese birthday cake baking. I made it last week for a friend's 30th birthday party. (We were out until 4:00 AM.)

The cake is the same recipe as the other cake but doubled to make a half sheet cake. Did I mention that I LOVE this cake? It is my favorite cake in the whole wide world. Growing up in California, we always had Chinese cake at every birthday.


Chinese Sponge Cake (aka Chinese Birthday Cake)
(Gai Don Go)

18 eggs, separated
2 cups cake flour, sifted
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
½ cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

For decorating:
Chantilly cream
2 pounds strawberries, sliced
3 bananas, sliced
2 cups slivered almonds, toasted

Chantilly cream:
1 quart heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. Beat egg yolks until thick, add sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, water, oil and vanilla and beat until creamy. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Fold a third of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold the rest of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until incorporated.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. Divide batter between two quarter sheet cake pans. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
5. When cool, slice cake two make two layers.
6. For chantilly cream: whip heavy whipping cream with vanilla, sugar and cornstarch.

Spread whipped cream on the bottom layer. Arrange strawberries and bananas on top of the whipped cream.

Spread a thin layer on top of the fruit filling. (I also sprinkled with some almonds because I like the taste of the spongy cake, sweet strawberries, creamy whipped cream and the toasty almonds. Whenever we have Chinese cake, I always ask for the edge piece because the middle slices never had any almonds. Now every slice comes with almonds.)
This is the coolest tool ever. It is an f.dick 9" spatula. I have no patience for decorating cakes but this tool makes the task easier.

Arrange the second layer on top of the bottom layer.
Spread with whipped cream.
Decorate sides with toasted slivered almonds and top with fresh fruit.
Okay the middle looked empty so I decided to place three whole strawberries there.

2 comments:

Miss J.Marie said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I hope this tastes like the cake from Phoenix Bakery in Chinatown (LA). That was my FAVORITE cake! Since I no longer live in cali :( I'm looking for a replica recipe lol! I hope this is it!!!

Miss J.Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.