Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Basil Pasta Salad with Pine Nuts and Peas



I made this dish for one of my friends. She is allergic to cow’s milk (not lactose intolerant but actually allergic). She sometimes will eat a piece of chocolate and then pay for it later but for the most part she tries to stay away from it. I know that with her first baby, she had to completely cut it out because she was breastfeeding and her baby was also very allergic to cow’s milk. I wanted to be very careful about not cooking with cow’s milk since I’m not sure if her second baby is also allergic.

When I decided to make this, the cheese I naturally reach for is parmesan but in this case I use a semi-hard and crumbly sheep’s milk cheese called petit basque. Manchego and even feta will also work.
This is a very simple dish but the flavors scream summer.


½ pound mini farfalle pasta (or regular farfalle)
¼ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 cups frozen petite peas
1 cup pine nuts, toasted
parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated
½ cup basil chiffonade
sea salt
pepper, freshly ground

1. Boil pasta in salted water, drain and immediately toss with olive oil
2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and toss. Serve cold or at room temperature.

0 comments: