Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Glazed Butternut Squash

This is a really simple side to prepare. It is better suited for the fall but since I had leftover butternut squash and was craving something sweet, I threw this together.

I had to take a culinary nutrition class in school. In addition to remembering that 1 gram of protein or carbohydrate equals 4 calories, 1 gram of fat equals 9 calories and 1 gram of alcohol equals 7 caloriess, we had to completely alter and execute randomly chosen recipes and turn them into healthier alternatives. We were allowed to choose our own teams and since we worked with the same group of students in each class, we knew their dedication (or lack of).

I looked at my friend Brooke and we decided that our team would consist of only the two of us. Other classmates asked to be part of our team but we did not want any slackers on our team. The chef had a thing against women chefs. He had this notion that only men made good chefs. We spent the entire ten weeks convincing him that we were his top students. We were the only team that received a 100 on our project. We spent many weekend hours doing our research and executing our dish. We were fortunate enough to be assigned duck a l'orange. I felt really bad for the team that was assigned the Monte Cristo.

Not only did we have to write up a new recipe, using substitute ingredients, but we had to also make the dish as our final product. The Monte Cristo was a complete disaster. How the heck were they supposed to make a low fat deep-fried battered ham and cheese sandwich?

Well in addition to the main dish, we also had to come up with some "healthy" side dishes. I decided to put together a glazed butternut squash side. I diced up some butternut squash, added honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger and butter. I always had a few surprise ingredients hidden in my pockets and that day I happen to have a handful of dried cranberries. I added the cranberries at the last minute. I told the chef it was "healthy" and failed to mention the pats of butter I added. Sometimes I add pecans or walnuts but I didn't feel like it this time.

This glaze can also be used for halved acorn squash. I do like the presentation options of acorn squash but I'm not particularly fond of the texture and flavor. I think butternut and buttercup squashes have more flavor.

Not a real recipe here but it is fairly forgiving.

cubed winter squash (butternut/buttercup or halved acorn squash)
Saigon cinnamon
ground ginger
pinch of ground nutmeg
honey (I use local honey because it is supposed to help with my allergies)
brown sugar
a few pats of butter
dried cranberries
pecans or walnuts (optional)

Place the squash into a casserole dish and top with cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, honey, brown sugar and butter. Roast in preheated oven. (I don't even care much about the temperature but 350 sounds about right.) When the honey, brown sugar and butter melts, it will form a syrupy glaze; mix to coat everything. Cook until slightly fork tender and then top with cranberries and nuts (if using) and cook about 10 minutes longer.


Yum =)
This entry was posted in

0 comments: