Saturday, August 15, 2009

Khua Mee: Fried Noodles


I’m not exactly sure what to call this dish but after doing some research, I’m going with Khua Mee. I thought the dish was Laotian in origin because the first time I had it was when a Laotian friend’s mom made it. I did some research and a found that a few different countries and ethnic groups within these countries have their own claim to the origin of this dish.

I read that the Shan ethnic group in Burma have a dish they call Mee Kola and Cambodians also have a noodle dish called Mee Cha. In Laos the dish is either called Mee Lao or Khua Mee. I believe the word “mee” or “mi” is the universal Asian word for noodles.

This is a pan-fried and caramelized noodle dish topped with slices of crepe-thin omelets, bean sprouts, green onions, coriander leaves and sometimes shredded chicken. The taste is sweet, savory and garlicky. The contrast between the warm soft noodles and the cold crispy bean sprouts is perfect.

The noodles that my friend’s mom used were pho rice noodle sticks so I use the same noodles. I have a feeling that the ingredients of the dish have been changed based on what is readily available.

After several attempts, I found a method to recreate this. I’m not guaranteeing that this is the way that my friend’s mom made it. It was all trial and error until I was satisfied with the finished product.

The bf gives his stamp of approval.

Khua Mee aka Fried Noodles

2-3 boneless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
salt

2 packages banh pho noodles
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup canola oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups water
¼ cup Pearl River dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
MSG
salt
pepper

8 eggs
salt
pepper
MSG
2 tablespoons water
oil, as needed

Half bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
4 cups bean sprouts


Prep Work:
1. Poach chicken breasts with salt and garlic until cooked. Allow to cool and then shred into strips.
2. Soak pho noodles in hot water (tap is fine but if your tap doesn't get very hot you can bring the water just below a boil) until slightly softened; approximately 5 minutes. Strain noodles and set aside.

3. Wash and prep the cilantro and green onions.

Directions:
1. In a wok, caramelized sugar until golden brown. Add oil and garlic and cook garlic until golden.
2. Carefully add water to the wok. (Be very careful because you are adding cold water to caramelized sugar.) Add soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil.

3. Taste the liquid, adjust seasonings and when caramelized sugar has melted, add the pho noodles. Stir to evenly coat noodles with sauce. Continue to cook until noodles are softened and sauce had been absorbed. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.

Preparing the Egg Strips:
I think the "EB" stamped on the eggs are so cute.

1. Beat eggs with salt, pepper, MSG and water.
2. Heat a nonstick (yes I said nonstick) pan and slightly coat with oil. Pour a little of the beaten eggs into the pan (like preparing crepes) and cook on both sides. Repeat until all eggs are cooked.

3. Stack the egg omelets and slice into strips.

Assembly:
1. When noodles have completely absorbed the sauce and is cool enough to handle, carefully separate the strands of noodles and place into a casserole pan (I often see people use the disposable aluminum pans but a casserole will work.)

2. Spread a layer of green onions and coriander leaves on top of the noodles.

3. Then a layer of shredded chicken breasts.

4. Then a layer of egg strips and finally a layer or bean sprouts.

2 comments:

Par said...

That does look pretty tasty.

The Food Snob said...

I'm making this tonight! I grew up eating this in my Laotian household and when I got married, my mother in law made it often. Now, that I have moved far away from home and all of the chefs, I have had the hardest time trying to reproduce this! Thanks so much!