Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sauteed Shrimp and Sweet Pea Risotto


This risotto recipe is one of my favorites. The first time I had sweet pea risotto was at North restaurant. It was served with pan-fried sea scallops. Although I am not particularly fond of scallops, I'll eat it on occasion.

When the dish came out, I thought it was especially green but when I took a bite, the pureed sweet peas with the creamy rice was such a great combination. The recipe for the risotto can be found here on my blog. Here is a link. Sweet Pea Risotto

I decided to make sauteed garlic shrimp to accompany the risotto. Please do not use pre-cooked or pre-peeled shrimp. My mom used to buy 5-lb blocks of shrimp. My job was to package the shrimp into 1-lb portions. The shrimp was never peeled or deveined ahead of time. Since I am all grown up and a tad lazier, I buy bags of IQF (individually quick frozen) shrimp that have already been deveined.

While at the grocery store, I saw the bags of cooked and peeled shrimp. I wondered, "who buys this stuff?" The bf buys cooked shrimp. It was a good thing I didn't send him out to pick up shrimp. A while back, I was helping a friend make shrimp kabobs. She bought cooked shrimp. I looked at her and said, "What is this? How am I supposed to marinate, skewer and grill cooked shrimp?" Shrimp should never be overcooked. It should be cooked just enough so that it is no longer transluscent. When you start off with cooked shrimp and cook it a second time, the shrimp is almost guaranteed to be overcooked.

I supposed cooked shrimp has its purpose. Shrimp cocktail? I don't like shrimp cocktail so I guess that is why I never buy frozen cooked shrimp. I have to think of a use for frozen cooked shrimp. In egg rolls? Nope. I use chopped raw shrimp for egg roll filling. Hmm...I will have to think about it.

Okay, okay enough about shrimp. Here is very simple yet very delicious recipe for sauteed garlic shrimp.

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 lb large shrimp (I used 26/30 count so according the the charts this size is considered extra large)
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt
pepper
2 teaspoons italian flat leaf parsley
squeeze of lemon juice

1. Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter is melted add shrimp and garlic. Saute until shrimp is just done. (This should only take a few minutes.) Do not overcook the shrimp. (How many times can I type overcook in this post?)

2. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, stir in parsley and lemon juice.

0 comments: